|HIV VACCINE ELECTRONIC (E) RESOURCE
ID#:Requisition Number: 2801BR
Posted: 17 Feb 2012
Anticipated Program Officer – Vaccine Advocacy
The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation
Foundation Overview: Guided by the belief that every life has equal value, the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation works to help all people lead healthy, productive lives. In developing countries, it focuses on improving people's health and giving them the chance to lift themselves out of hunger and extreme poverty. In the United States, it seeks to ensure that all people-especially those with the fewest resources-have access to the opportunities they need to succeed in school and life. Based in Seattle, the foundation is led by CEO Jeff Raikes and co-chair William H. Gates Sr., under the direction of Bill and Melinda Gates and Warren Buffett.
Visit web site
The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation is using this posting to solicit general interest in future opportunities. The foundation does not currently have an open position related to this posting and there is no guarantee that there will be an open position in the future. If you are interested in this anticipated opportunity, please submit a completed profile, including your resume. If you are not contacted and would like to be considered for additional opportunities, you are welcome to search our website and submit a profile for any current openings.
Job postings for anticipated opportunities are not eligible for employee referrals. Please check our website for any current openings, which are eligible for employee referrals.
The mission of the Gates Foundation's Global Health Program (GHP) is to help ensure that lifesaving advances in health are created and shared with those who need them most. To date, we have committed nearly $10 billion in global health grants to organizations worldwide. The focus of our grants is to:
- Discover new insights to fight serious diseases and other health problems affecting developing countries.
- Develop effective and affordable vaccines, medicines, and other health tools.
- Deliver proven health solutions in developing countries.
- Advocate for more and better resources and policies to support the introduction and uptake of new and existing health technologies.
Vaccine Advocacy Program Summary
Vaccines are the foundation's top priority. Our vaccine mission is to work with partners to urgently reach all children, no matter where they live, with the vaccines they need. This work includes polio eradication, improved routine immunization coverage, and new vaccine introduction. Our vaccine advocacy efforts work to create an enabling public and political environment for the accelerated discovery, development and delivery of this lifesaving technology.
Specifically, we focus on building constituencies of support in key political markets, developing and executing against an evidence-based policy agenda, and resource mobilization and political will/accountability to support global vaccine priorities.
The Program Officer (PO) will be a key member on a team tasked with the implementation of the foundation's Vaccine Advocacy strategy. The PO will work closely with the Vaccine Advocacy Senior Program Officer (SPO), and stakeholders across multiple foundation teams to develop and execute against advocacy, policy and political strategies and manage high impact and complex partnerships, grants, and coalitions. The PO will bring a depth and breadth of experience in and knowledge of political networks and advocacy partnerships, and technical expertise in evidence based, results oriented advocacy.
Key responsibilities include:
- Design and implement strategies to engage public and political stakeholders in activities relating to global vaccine priorities.
- Contribute to strategic planning and track progress toward goals.
- Liaise with vaccine program teams to identify and leverage advocacy and policy opportunities in support of their program goals.
- Serve as a point of contact on portfolio-related issues for key internal and external stakeholders.
- Identify, initiate and manage key partnerships with individuals and organizations in both the public and private sector.
- Collaborate with vaccine advocacy team to develop, make and manage a portfolio of grants; work with grantees and partners to achieve desired advocacy impact, for example by conducting site visits, providing technical guidance, convening meetings of key stakeholders, and applying and evaluating performance objectives.
- Monitor, evaluate and analyze trends and policy issues relevant to policy and political activity and decisions on vaccines; prepare regular reports and presentations for a variety of purposes and audiences, summarizing developments and recommendations for key program areas.
- Write and produce informative briefings, reports, email updates, and other materials on key vaccine and related issues for SPO, other colleagues, and foundation leadership.
- Provide analysis in support of the foundation's policy and advocacy engagement with international agencies and partnerships.
- Collaborate with other foundation colleagues as appropriate to ensure that work is aligned, supported, and enhanced throughout the foundation.
- Represent the foundation among partners and stakeholders at meetings and conferences.
- Advanced degree in public health, public policy, political science, economics, or a related field
- A minimum of seven years experience in global health advocacy, policy or political work. A health background and strong mix of service in either the public or non-profit sectors are preferred.
- Experience in the design, management, and communication of complex strategies, initiatives and programs related to motivating new stakeholders and an enhanced governmental response preferably for improved public health in the developing world
- Experience working with policymakers and advocates for global and/or country level policy & advocacy
- Experience developing, managing and implementing projects, including partnering with grantees on the definition of objectives and deliverables and monitoring and evaluation of results
- Knowledge of the legislative and administrative processes and structures in multiple political markets desired
- Demonstrated understanding of the role of advocacy efforts to influence public and political sentiment and engagement increase awareness of health/development issues and build political/financial support for health and development goals in the developing world with governmental and non-state organizations
- Demonstrated success in leadership roles developing and managing policy and advocacy organizations, programs or initiatives requiring a combination of strong analytical, writing and management skills
- Experience developing, managing and implementing project and grant-making strategies, including partnering with grantees on the definition of objectives and deliverables and monitoring and evaluation of results
- Ability to work with flexibility, entrepreneurship, and diplomacy both individually and as part of a complex team effort
- A deep commitment to development issues
- Ability to travel up to 35% domestically and internationally
- High standards of personal integrity
Reports to: Senior Program Officer, Vaccine Advocacy, Global Health Policy & Advocacy
As part of our standard hiring process for new employees, employment with the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation will be contingent upon successful completion of a comprehensive background check.